Picture of CA Edington
Re: Quizzes - More on Short Answers
by CA Edington - Thursday, 7 June 2007, 10:03 AM

Hello, again!

I'm having more and more success with Short Answer questions.  As I mentioned before, I like them in that it's good practice for students to learn precision (putting a space after a comma and the like).

I'm gradually adding a wild card answer, as time permits.  The instructions on a Moodle site about Short Answers that one of you recommended state, "
As a best practice, add a single wild card * for the last answer, so you can create a feedback response and a score for all other answers students might have."

I've tried this as well as using one word that students are likely to have in their answer surrounded by asterisks (for example, *poor*), and it works!

I browse through the various answers students have given at Item Analysis.  That way I can see the problems with the "incorrect" answers.  If one of the answers is close enough, I'll add it to the correct answers.  I may also add common incorrect answers with feedback.

Example:

Question:  Where does Scout think babies come from?

Actual student answers:

God drops them down the chimney. - Feedback: correct
God drops 'em down the chimney. - Feedback: correct
the chimney - Feedback: How do the babies get down the chimney?
Chimney- Feedback: How do the babies get down the chimney?
God drops babies. - Feedback: Where does God drop the babies?
God drops babies - Feedback: Where does God drop the babies?
God drop\'s em down the chimney. - Feedback: correct
just waitin\' to wake up, he breath life... - [This answer would have no feedback unless there were a wild card with only an asterisk.]
chimmey - [This answer would have no feedback unless there were a wild card with only an asterisk or one with the incorrect spelling and feedback.]
Chimmey - [This answer would have no feedback unless there were a wild card with only an asterisk or one with the incorrect spelling and feedback.]
twilight world - [This answer would have no feedback unless there were a wild card with only an asterisk.]
God drops \'em down the chimney. - Feedback: correct
God drops\'em down the chimney. - [This answer would have feedback if there's a wildcard with *chimney* or *God,* which I haven't made yet.]
chimney - [This answer would have feedback if there's a wildcard with *chimney,* which I haven't made yet.]
God - [This answer would have feedback if there's a wildcard with *God,* which I haven't made yet.]
God drop \'em down the chimney - [This answer would have feedback if there's a wildcard with *chimney* or *God,* which I haven't made yet.]

Don, you mentioned using a 3rd party software to show students all the answers they had written, but I can do that using Item Analysis, plus a bit of copying and pasting.

One more thing I discovered is that I can change the score on students' answers!  I don't have time at the moment to write about how, but the possibility exists if a student's answer is close enough.

CA (who continues to be very enthusiastic about Moodle)