Picture of David Campbell
Restore work and grades for one activity
by David Campbell - Tuesday, 1 December 2009, 08:38 AM

I have colleague who deleted an activity by mistake and lost all the students' work and grades. I have a back up, but when I try to restore the information I don't get the required information. In the backup settings I have it set to backup all user information and even grading histories.

These are some of things I have tired. I restored the whole course as a new course. All of the topics reinstall, resources, labels, groups, links came up, but no scores or student data. I experimented with a course from last year and it restored fine. I also tried to just restore that activity in a test course I set up, but no luck.

Does this mean I have a corrupted backup or is there something else I should be looking at?

I don't have a recent enough site backup to work from to get that data.
Picture of Don Hinkelman
Re: Restore work and grades for one activity
by Don Hinkelman - Tuesday, 1 December 2009, 12:24 PM

Hi David,
  • Which kind of activity got deleted? Was it a standard module or a third party one? Note that in 1.9.5, the gradebook was changed. Some third party modules did not upgrade that part yet.
  • When you did backup, besides checking all the boxes to include user information, did you also select the pull-down menu near the bottom to include all course users?
  • If the colleague in question is now angry or depressed, you might consider downgrading their role to 'non-editing teacher' to rid them of the responsibility/danger of deletion. smile
Don