Picture of CA Edington
Returning Essays to Students
by CA Edington - Sunday, 31 May 2009, 01:21 PM

For students to submit essays to me via Moodle is a simple process. However, once I've checked them (with review comments made on MS Word), what is the best way of returning the essays to the students? I don't see any way of doing that via Moodle.

Appreciate any advice,
CA

Picture of Martin Meadows
Re: Returning Essays to Students
by Martin Meadows - Monday, 1 June 2009, 10:33 PM

It's not very elegant, but I just attach the corrected/reviewed files (done with the MS Word markup feature) to an email sent to students' registered addresses. I leave only comments and grades on the assignment list page. This works well enough for me as students are all registered with their university email addresses. If your students are using cell phone email, though, then this method would be impractical.

If there are any other ways to simplify this process, I would also like to hear about them.

Thanks,
Martin
Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Thursday, 4 June 2009, 11:43 AM

Thank you for your suggestion about sending corrected/reviewed essays as attachments, Martin. Unfortunately I am unable to contact students via their school email addresses. It would also be a rather time-consuming process!

Since I wrote my original message, at one of the schools where I teach, I have been given permission to access the Foreign Language Department folder. From there I can put the essays in a folder with my name for students to pick up.

It would still be easier if there were a way to return essays via Moodle since I have to transfer the essays via a USB stick to that folder (which I can only access in the classroom) before class. At any rate, at least students at that school are now able to pick up their essays without any trouble on their part.

CA
Picture of Martin Meadows
by Martin Meadows - Thursday, 4 June 2009, 12:34 PM

Unfortunately I am unable to contact students via their school email addresses. It would also be a rather time-consuming process!

Yes, it is a little time consuming, but it really just adds a few steps to the grading process for each assignment. When I finish reviewing and am entering the grade/comments, I then just click on the student's name and see their email address in their profile. Clicking on their registered email brings up a New Message window in my mail software in which I simply attach the assignment, add a generic subject line, then hit send.

As a teacher in the moodle, you should be able to view student's registered email addresses. Are you saying that you can't? Or that the addresses you see are not their school emails?

On the whole, though, I agree. It would be easier to be able to do all this directly via the assignment grading window within moodle! If there were a RETURN button next to each student's name, or something like that ....
Picture of Eric Hagley
by Eric Hagley - Thursday, 4 June 2009, 12:44 PM

If you are not worried about students seeing each others' essays then attaching them to forum posts would be an option. Another option would be to have the students put their writing directly into the online text assignment. You can grade them online, and add inline comments or changes. When you say "I can put the essays in a folder with my name for students to pick up" can students access other students' essays there? If you want to upload all files at once but don't mind for students to see each others' work, then make a zip of all the files and upload it into a database or a forum and tell students they have to download the zipped file, unzip it and find their own essay - very ugly, and I wouldn't do it, but another option.... Not sure if that helps.
Picture of Don Hinkelman
by Don Hinkelman - Thursday, 4 June 2009, 01:27 PM

Here is another way--Make an Open Essay Pick-up Folder on Moodle
- put all your essays into one folder and zip it
- upload the zip file into your course "Files"
- unzip (this makes a folder in your course Files)
- make a resource anywhere on your course. Choose this type: "Display a Directory"
- when prompted, select the new folder of essays you just uploaded

Downside: students can see each others essays in the folder. Not a problem if they are writing about slightly different or personalized topics.
Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Thursday, 4 June 2009, 07:17 PM

Don - The suggestion about using Display a Directory was also made to me by Bob Gettings. This is something I'll play around with this weekend and let you know how it works.

To answer you and Eric, it doesn't matter that the students have access to one another's essays. They've already read them since they do peer feedback (using paper!). Also, I have them save their essays with their student numbers so they can easily identify their own.

As for online assignments, that's appropriate for some of the preliminary writing that is done, but I want the final drafts done on MS Word so that I can use the comment/review tool for editing.

And finally, Martin, that's right that I'm not able to see the students' email addresses, a problem that I wrote about on a separate forum. All the other info is there, so I'm still not sure how students get registered without a correct email address.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, especially since I'm doing more and more of my classwork through Moodle.

CA