Picture of David Campbell
account confirmation e-mail
by David Campbell - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 03:58 PM

I am having trouble with the confirmation e-mails not going to students who use their university mail addresses. If they use gmail or yahoomail for their accounts the confirmation e-mail arrive just fine. Any ideas what server setting might be wrong that I need to change? I am receiving e-mail notifications that students have successfully submitted homework to my university address, so I am puzzled why the other ones aren't going.
Picture of CA Edington
Re: account confirmation e-mail
by CA Edington - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 04:41 PM

David - Just to add that I've exactly the same problem, including with students who use their keitai addresses. As it is, I can't contact any of my students because I don't know what their email addresses are.

This only became a problem when I upgraded to 9.4. With the version I was using before, no email confirmation was required. Is there a way to set it so that the confirmation is not necessary?

CA
by David Campbell - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 05:10 PM

That method of enrollment seems to be the default and I don't see a way to shut it off without doing everything manually. The strange thing is that it works fine for non-university addresses. The IT folks swear there are no filters blocking them, but some other port needs to be opened.
Picture of Peter Ruthven-Stuart
by Peter Ruthven-Stuart - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 05:28 PM

CA

Mail message from Moodle tend not to reach keitai accounts because often keitais block any mail from senders that users have not OKed in advance. Your students need to set their keitai mail accounts to accept mail from your moodle system - which probably means your email address.

If you go to the participants list in any course, and then click on the detailed view (top right menu), you will see all your students email addresses.

The ability to register to a moodle system without email confirmation was a huge security risk as well as a cause of great potential embarrassment. Any one could register to a moodle system, including less savoury types who would embed all manner of 'artwork' into their profiles.

However, there is a very simple solution to the problem of confirmation mails:
once students have registered,
  1. go to the admin section on the top page
  2. click on users
  3. click one Accounts
  4. click on Browse list of users
  5. click on the [Show Advanced] button <- top right
  6. select 'No' to the right of the Confirmed filter
  7. click on Add filter (this means search)
  8. you will then see a list of all people who have registered but not yet confirmed
  9. you can then manually confirm those people you know to be legitimate students
  10. you can then tell your students to ignore any confirmation message they receive from you

OK?
Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 08:56 PM

Peter - Thanks as always for the thorough answer, and I can understand the security risk. In fact I had that problem a couple of years ago (see: http://englishforum.sgu.ac.jp/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=72). Since all my current classes are fairly small, all enrollment takes place only during class and I'd be able to spot any intruders.

I checked the users just now, and only five keitai (Docomo, Softbank, Dion, Ezweb) and two Yahoo addresses show up. (Those with the keitai addresses showing are, I assume, the ones who knew enough to change their settings to accept mail from me.) There were none with school addresses, although I know some of the students had used their school addresses. The other addresses showing are all the dummy email addresses I had set up.

What was strange is that I followed the steps for adding a filter, including select 'No' to the right of the Confirmed filter. However, when I added the filter, it came up with zero [unconfirmed] users. When I changed that filter to 'Yes,' it showed ALL the names, including the dummy names that were never used to register. How could names that aren't registered be confirmed?

I won't see most of the students for 2 weeks, at which point I'll ask everyone to set their addresses to accept mail from me. As far as school addresses go, could it be the same problem?

by David Campbell - Wednesday, 29 April 2009, 02:24 PM

Peter,
Actually, that is what I have ended up doing, but when I do that it seems the students aren't being put into the correct course and I have to go and assign them a role as student in the course they are supposed to be in.

Moodle is set up for the Department, but the only people using it right now our English instructors. It seems that people are able to create accounts for the department even if they don't select a course. The English courses are set up to be children courses for the meta courses: extensive reading and our English Resource Center.
Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Sunday, 31 May 2009, 01:32 PM

Peter, I have followed the steps that you suggested:

However, there is a very simple solution to the problem of confirmation mails:
once students have registered,
  1. go to the admin section on the top page
  2. click on users
  3. click one Accounts
  4. click on Browse list of users
  5. click on the [Show Advanced] button <- top right
  6. select 'No' to the right of the Confirmed filter
  7. click on Add filter (this means search)
  8. you will then see a list of all people who have registered but not yet confirmed
  9. you can then manually confirm those people you know to be legitimate students
  10. you can then tell your students to ignore any confirmation message they receive from you
However, in step 9, I don't understand what is meant by “manually confirm” students. They are registered and using the site. However, their email addresses are still the dummy addresses that I inserted initially (except for the very few students who were able to follow the extremely long, complicated message that got sent to their keitai). As a result, I'm not able to contact most of the students through Moodle and don't even know their email addresses to be able to contact them through separate mail.

CIS (confused in Sapporo),
CA

Picture of Peter Ruthven-Stuart
by Peter Ruthven-Stuart - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 05:14 PM

David,

Without more detail I can't be certain about the cause of your problem, but it does seem that the problem is not with your moodle server, so some possible causes are:
  1. Your university email server is treating the confirmation email as spam, so the messages are not even getting to your students' mailboxes. If you have a copy of a confirmation email from your moodle system, make all the header detail visible, print it out then show it to your IT people. They should be able to discover whether such messages have been through the mail server and how far they have got.
  2. If the students are first year students, it could be that your IT people have disabled certain aspects of new students' mail accounts until they attend an Internet Literacy / Manners class - that's what has happened in FUN.
  3. Your students don't know know to check their university mail accounts.
One way to isolate the problem is to send your students a message via a class forum. If only the students who are using non-university mail accounts get the message, then the problem is the university mail server and not your moodle server.
Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Tuesday, 28 April 2009, 09:00 PM

Peter wrote, “Your university email server is treating the confirmation email as spam, so the messages are not even getting to your students' mailboxes.”

I suspect this is what is happening with the Satsudai email addresses. Is there anyone on this list from Satsudai who would know or who could check on this?
by David Campbell - Wednesday, 29 April 2009, 02:28 PM

I tried sending a message using the forum like you suggested earlier and so far no students have replied, but it is a holiday today. The students have all been through their initial computer training and their accounts are active. The IT people say there are now spam filters and by the volume of spam I do get I believe that is probably true. I just got a confirmation e-mail that bounced back because a student used an incorrect e-mail address. I will take it down with all the headers to the IT people tomorrow and see what they say.
by David Campbell - Friday, 1 May 2009, 03:40 PM

Problem solved I think?

It seems the students who haven't changed their passwords after the computer seminar can't access their accounts. They are supposed to do it right in the seminar, but it seems a lot of them didn't. This shows that the IT staff need to make their explanation clearer I guess.