Picture of CA Edington
Deleting Users
by CA Edington - Friday, 13 March 2009, 10:32 AM

How does one delete users without doing it one by one?
Picture of Don Hinkelman
Re: Deleting Users
by Don Hinkelman - Friday, 13 March 2009, 02:23 PM

How delete users? Good question as we begin the new school year.

I assume you mean, "how do I start my course over again for a new class?". Actually, you do not need to delete users, just refresh your class site, removing users enrollment and user data (forum posts, assignments, quiz scores, etc.).

You have at least two options:

1. Keep student data and start a fresh course
To do this do a backup (*without user data*) and a restore of the course. You will then have two courses: "Original Course" and "Original Course-Copy 1". Rename the two courses as for example: "Archive of Original Course" and "My Refreshed Course". Then take the "My Refreshed Course" and go to your Admin area and click on "Reset", and select the users and data you want to remove. That will empty all user enrollment and delete student data, leaving the activities and information that you as a teacher created still remaining.

2. Remove student data permanently and reuse the same course
To do this, skip the backup and restore, and simply do the "Reset" step in your admin area.
Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Friday, 13 March 2009, 01:12 PM

Yes, starting a course over is what I meant, Don. I thought there might be a way of deleting all the users from all my classes and schools at once. I'll try both the options you suggested. Thanks! approve
Picture of Eric Hagley
by Eric Hagley - Friday, 13 March 2009, 01:21 PM

If you want to delete users from your site go to the front page admin

Site Administration>users>accounts>bulk user actions and then choose the users you want to delete, add them to the "selected" section and then choose "delete" from the "with selected users" drop down menu and presto! They are gone!

Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Friday, 13 March 2009, 02:11 PM

That sounds very simple, Eric, but I think you must be using a higher version of Moodle than I am. What I see under users>accounts is -->

I don't see “bulk user actions.”

However, I'll keep this message on file for reference after I upgrade.

Thanks!

Site Administration

Picture of Don Hinkelman
by Don Hinkelman - Friday, 13 March 2009, 02:29 PM

Are they really gone, Eric?

Even after bulk delete, if I leave a course full of those users on my site, the user data will remain in that course and the user accounts will still remain, won't they?

I think the bulk user action will only remove them from future activity, not past activity.

I think for CA's case and for teachers wanting to renew their courses, the best strategy is the "Reset" feature in Course Administration (not Site Administration).
(see attached screenshot)

Picture of CA Edington
by CA Edington - Sunday, 22 March 2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for your clear instructions, Eric. Since I'm now upgraded to 1.9.4, I was able to delete the selected users through the bulk user action.

CA
http://caezplace.com/moodle/